Useful Links and Additional Resources
THUMBNAIL GALLERY OF EACH FACT SHEET & INFOGRAPHIC
What is FASD?
Dos and don’ts of recruiting someone with FASD
Cognition at Work_ Accommodations for Attention
Cognition at Work_ Accommodations for Supporting Generalisation, Learning and Memory
Cognition at Work_ Accommodations for Language and Communication Difficulties
Cognition at Work_ Accommodations for Decision-making and judgments
FASD and Cognition at Work_ Accommodations for Task Initiation and Completion
FASD and Cognition at Work_ Accommodations for Impulsivity
FASD and Cognition at Work_ Accommodations for Self-Awareness
Tips for Interview adjustments for Persons with FASD with Criminal Backgrounds
Creating successful Mentoring Relationships
Challenges Transitioning out of the Justice System into Employment
Strengths of People with FASD
Adopting a FASD informed approach
Eight Magic Keys to Supporting a Person with FASD
Natural Workplace Supports for Employees with FASD
Links to Useful Resources
Resources for employing persons with FASD
Useful tools for specific difficulties experienced by persons with FASD in the workplace
Websites to consult
Employment resources for persons with other types of disabilities that may co-exist with FASD
Justice Employment Project Resource
Acknowledgement of participants
The FASD Justice Employment Project implemented by Patches, received funding from the Australian Government.
Patches acknowledges all those that have been involved in the development of this resource.
This project has been led by Kirrily Clarke: Project Manager Patches, Dr Annabelle Nankoo: Senior Research Officer UWA and Dr James Fitzpatrick: CEO of Patches.
UWA: Dr Carmela Pestell, Dr Kristen Panton
Cultural Advisor: Isabelle Adams
360Edge: Dr Richard Cash
MCI Solutions: Jenna Baskin / Gavin Wedell / Daniel Friedman
Real Drug Talk/ Experience Matters: Jack Nagle
APM: Marina Chalmers
Particular appreciation is show to:
SWI Fencing, Chris Crawford, Mish Gerovish, Lola Meirs, Jamie Pinnell, Brittany Beatty, Adrian Edwards and Bailey Willis-Cunningham for their invaluable input.
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. (2014). Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders. Strategies to address information gaps. Retrieved from https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. (2015). Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: a review of interventions for prevention and management in Indigenous communities. Resource sheet no. 36 prepared by the Closing the Gap Clearinghouse. Retrieved from https://www.aihw.gov.au/getmedia/778f54f3-5618-428f-a094-40c347ed3c7f/ctgc-rs36.pdf.aspx?inline=true
- Bower, C., Watkins, R. E., Mutch, R. C., Marriott, R., Freeman, J., Kippin, N., R. ,… & Giglia, R. (2018). Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and youth justice: a prevalence study among young people sentenced to detention in Western Australia. BMJ Open, 8, 1 – 11. Doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-019605corr1.
- Burd, L. (2016). Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: complexity from comorbidity. Lancet, 387(10022), 926 – 927.
- Clarren, S., Halliwell, C.I., Werk, C.M., Sebaldt, R. J., Petrie, A., Lilley, C., & Cook, J. (2015). Using a common form for consistent collection and reporting of FASD data from across Canada: a feasibility study. Journal of Population Therapeutic and Clinical Pharmacology, 22, 211–28.
- Corrado, R. R., & McCuish, E. C. (2015). The development of early onset, chronic, and versatile offending: The role of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder and mediating factors. International Journal of Child and Adolescent Health, 8(2), 241-250. Retrieved from https://www-proquest-com.ezproxy.library.uwa.edu.au/scholarly-journals/development-early-onset-chronic-versatile/docview/1706180029/se-2?accountid=14681
- Department of Health (2018). National Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) Strategic Action Plan 2018 – 2028. Retrieved from https://www.health.gov.au/sites/default/files/national-fasd-strategic-action-plan-2018-2028.pdf
- Fast, D. K., & Conry, J. (2009). Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders and the criminal justice system. Developmental Disabilities Research Reviews, 15(3), 250 – 257. Doi: 10.1002/ddrr.66.
- Fitzpatrick, J., Latimer, J., Olson, H. C., Carter, M., Oscar, J., Lucas, B. R… Elliott, E. J. (2017). Prevalence and profile of Neurodevelopment and Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) amongst Australian Aboriginal children living in remote communities. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 65, 114 – 126.
- Green, C., Cook, J. L., Stewart, M., & Salmon, A. (n.d). FASD and the criminal justice system. Canada FASD Research Network. Retrieved from https://canfasd.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/FASD-and-the-Criminal-Justice-System.pdf
- Kapasi, A., Makela, M. L., Flannigan, K., Joly, V., & Pei, J. (2019). Understanding employment success in adults with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 51, 377 – 393. Doi: 10.3233/JVR-191053
- Kippin, N. R., Leitao, S., Watkins, R., Finlay-Jones, A., Condon, C., Marriott, R.,… & Bower, C. (2018). Language diversity, language disorder, and fetal alcohol spectrum disorder among youth sentenced to detention in Western Australia. International Journal of Law Psychiatry, 61, 40 – 49. Doi: 10.1016/j.ijlp.2018.09.004.
- Makela, M., Kapasi, A., & Pei, J. Guide for employment professionals: Supporting employment in adults with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder. Retrieved from https://www.nofasd.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Guide-for-Employment-Professionals.pdf.
- Makela, M., Kapasi, A., & Pei, J. Guide for employment professionals: Supporting employment in adults with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder Version 2. Retrieved from https://canfasd.ca/wp-content/uploads/publications/Guide-for-Employment-
- Professionals-Supporting-Employment-in-Adults-with-FASD.pdf Rutman, D. (2016). Becoming FASD informed: strengthening practice and programs working with women with FASD. Substance Use in Pregnancy: Research and Treatment, 10(S1), 13 – 20. Doi: 10.4137/SART.S34543.
- Mutch, R. C., Watkins, R., & Bower, R. (2015). Fetal alcohol spectrum disorders: notifications to the Western Australian register of developmental anomalies. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, 51, 433 – 436. Doi: 10.1111/jpc.12746.
- Popova, S., Lange, S., Probst, C., Gmel, G., Rehm, J. (2017). Estimation of national, regional, and global prevalence of alcohol use during pregnancy and fetal alcohol syndrome: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Global Health, 5(3), 2909 – 299.
- Popova, S., Lange, S., Shield, K., Mihic, A., Chudley, A. E., Mukherjee, R. A. S., … Rehm, J. (2016). Comorbidity of fetal alcohol spectrum disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet, 387, 978 – 987.
- Radford-Paz, E. (2013). Risk and protective factors for criminality among adults with FASD. Master’s thesis, Laurentian University, Sudbury, ON
- Streissguth, A., Bookstein, F., Barr, H., Sampson, P., O’Malley, K., & Young, J. (2004). Risk factors for adverse life outcomes in fetal alcohol syndrome and fetal alcohol effects. Journal of Developmental Behaviour and Pediatrics. 25, 228–238. doi: 10.1097/00004703-200408000-